Father's Day is fast approaching, and it's a well known fact that dads love homemade desserts.
I can't speak for all the fathers out there, but I know my dad loves his desserts classic and decadent. Chocolate, vanilla, and maybe a splash of whiskey or bourbon are high on the flavor list while anything too elaborate is deemed unnecessary. So to honor my dad's dessert choices I've put together a little list of father-friendly desserts for the upcoming weekend.
Plus! Kenwood has offered to send one of my Canadian readers a sweet kitchen item, there's more about that at the end of the post. Dessert first, then fun fun giveaway.
1. Chocolate Chip Cookies: Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? There's a version out there for everyone. This recipe makes my dad's favorite kind: crispy on the edges, soft and chewy on the inside, with lots and lots of chocolate chips.
2. Homemade Ice Cream and Gelato: When it comes to 'things my dad wants for dessert' ice cream is always...ALWAYS on the list. In past years I've made many different kinds for Father's Days and birthdays and this recipe for nutella gelato was a family favorite.
3. Chocolate Cake: Moist, chocolaty cake topped with a chocolate or mocha rum icing is always a welcome addition to celebration dinners at our house. This version kicks it up a notch with tunnels of fudgey filling and a bourbon spiked whipped cream.
4. Chocolate Toffee Pecan Cookies: The name really says it all, they're soft and chewy chocolate cookies packed with toffee and pecan pieces. Easy to make, but hard to give away without accidentally eating them all yourself.
5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Tart: I know that chocolate chip cookies are already on the list, but this version is baked in a tart pan and served warm and gooey with scoops of vanilla ice cream. It's a fun way to add a twist to a classic dessert without changing it's traditional flavors.
In honor of Father's Day and as part of my ongoing partnership with Kenwood, I'm giving away a Triblade Immersion Blender for one lucky reader just in time for the start of summer. It comes with all of the attachments pictured and does everything from blending to chopping to whisking. It's a sweet little kitchen tool.
To enter, please comment on this post telling me what you'd use the blender for and head over to Kenwood's facebook page and like them. Easy peasy! Contest closed
The contest is open to Canadian Readers only and a winner will be picked on Tuesday the 17th 2014.
Congrats Adam! Enjoy your new blender