I'm excited about this post, and not just because there are sparkly cupcakes to share. I've paired up with Minted.com which happens to be one of my favorite paper-based websites. Minted makes wedding invitations, customized notebooks, stationary, and (cutest of all) an array of paper goods for parties. Everything is designed by independent artists and the quality is great. Basically a wonderful/dangerous place to visit if you're a stationary addict like me.
Last Christmas I bought everyone in my family customized notebooks, and since then I've also purchased stationary sets, more notebooks, and now this spring themed party-table set. Little did Minted know when they wrote to me that I was already a huge dorky stationary fan girl (YES I WILL TRY THE CUTE PARTY TABLE SET, THANK YOU)
I wanted to have a spring themed dessert table and decided that instead of choosing the desserts first I would pick out the signs and decorations and then make cupcakes with the same colour scheme. Pretty much everything on their website can be customized so I picked out this teal sign and changed the words to 'Sweet Spring"
Then I added a windmill set from the same design package. You have to assemble the windmills yourself, but it makes for a cute and easy cupcake topper. I didn't even bother to pipe on the icing, just swiped it on and stuck the windmill in. Done and done! When you have a party to plan easier = better.
I also picked up a package of matching confetti which I used both as cupcake coasters and as a background.
For the fancier cupcakes I actually piped the icing on (instead of just smearing it around) and added some gumpaste flowers that I had made the week before and dusted with pink shimmer powder. They are simple to make and keep for months and months on end. So when the day of your party arrives, you can just stick them on to your cake/cupcakes and you are good to go.
Actually, forget what I said about piping the icing.. totally optional. See if you can spot the cupcake that I iced with a butter knife and then added flowers to. Still looks great!
With all the cute paper colour and patterns, all you need to do to make a dessert that wows is pick a couple of matching colours to ice your cookies/cake/cupcakes with and maybe add a detail or two (like the flowers) to dress it up. To make things even easier I also:
1. Made the cupcakes in advance (iced them day of)
2. Made the gumpaste flowers in advance
3. Didn't mess around with trying to pipe a large amount of cupcakes perfectly, just 4-5 accent cupcakes and the rest were decorated with windmills.
4. Didn't bother trying to find lots of matching plates, used the confetti as little coasters instead.
And now you can enter to win a $50 gift card to Minted.com and make your own dessert table! Or spend it on invitations, notebooks, and stationary.. no judgement here.
Leave a comment with which Minted product(s) you would buy with the gift card.
Additional Entries (optional)
1. Tweet about the giveaway, then leave a separate comment with a link to the tweet: " Win a $50 Minted.com gift card from @Clock_worklemon #stationaryaddiction http://tinyurl.com/qz5gaun "
2. Pin the giveaway on Pinterest, then leave a separate comment with a link to the pin
3. 'Like' Clockwork Lemon on Facebook and leave a separate comment saying that you did (you can click the link, or press the like button on the left sidebar)
A winner will be chosen through random draw on June 1 2013
Full disclosure: Minted provided me with the party table set and the $50 dollar gift card. However, as a stationary nerd and customer, the opinions were 100% my own.