What I really wanted was something moist, spiced, and simple that I could whip up quickly without any fussy decorating. Not that I don't like fussy decorating (I secretly love it) but sometimes simple and unstyled is refreshing.
These cupcakes are exactly what I hoped they would be: lots of pumpkin flavor topped with brown butter icing which is so delicious that it doesn't need to be pretty.
For the cupcakes I used a recipe that I've posted before because I love it so much. Instead of creaming the butter and sugar with the eggs and then alternating wet and dry ingredients the recipe calls for mixing the wet and dry ingredients seperately and then stirring them together. They are really moist and tasty even without any icing.
But why eat them without icing when you could be eating them with icing??
This icing is a combination of browned butter, powdered sugar, milk, and a bit of vanilla. Brown butter is made by melting butter in a pot and then swirling it over medium low heat until it turns golden and starts to smell toasted and delicious. It has a deeper almost nutty flavor compared to regular butter and it really stands out.
The powdered sugar is added to the butter while is still warm and then drizzled/spread on top of the cupcakes.
Pumpkin Spice Cake
Makes 2 dozen cupcakes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Whisk the first 9 ingredients together
3. In a separate bowl for electric mixer mix the pumpkin, oil, and sugar together. Beat the eggs in one by one.
4. Add the flour-spice mixture until just combined then stir in orange peel
5. Divide batter into cupcake papers and bake for 20- 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Brown Butter Icing
1 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 to 4 tbsp milk
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Once it has melted turn the heat down to medium low and continue to cook the butter swirling the pan occasionally.The butter will develop brown flecks and slows turn a golden colour. When this happens remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a bowl.Set the warm pan aside (its helpful if the icing separates)
2. Stir the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 tbsp of milk into the butter. If it needs to be thinned out further then add 1 to 2 tbsp more. If the icing separates then pour it into the warm pan and whisk until it comes together again. Use immediately.