Why shouldn't muffins be cute like cupcakes? These banana muffins are topped with a tangy honey cream cheese and are ready to be your complete breakfast.
The topping is cream cheese that has been beaten with honey until its easy to spread and slightly sweetened.
Or you could dress them up as a complete breakfast with little gumpaste and fondant toppers.
I had been admiring the miniature food supplies for polymer clay at this store when I decided that I wanted to try and use fondant with this itty bitty waffle maker. I really don't know what it is about tiny food, but I'm definitely a fan. So cute! . The little waffle iron worked perfectly on my home made marshmallow fondant that I mixed with a bit of hot chocolate powder to get the right brown colour.
I also cut out little fried eggs out of gum paste to go with the waffles because what's breakfast without some eggs?
Or you can skip the decorations and just enjoy the banana-muffin goodness unadorned.
My Mom's Banana Muffins
3 large bananas
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
heat oven to 375
1. Mash bananas with the sugar and the egg
2. Stir in the melted butter
3. Whisk together the dry ingredients and then stir into the banana mixture. The mixture will be lumpy, do not over mix or your muffins will be tough. Stir until just combined
4. Spoon into muffin papers and bake for 15-20 minutes
Makes 12-13 muffins
Honey Cream Cheese Topping
1 package of cream cheese
Honey to taste
1. In a stand mixer beat the cream cheese until soft
2. Beat in honey until the desired sweetness is reached
3. Pipe or spread topping on muffins